Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Rosie, The Jetson's Maid comes Home to Roost

In the name of science, or “The Jetsons”, there is a new automated floor cleaner called Mint (http://www.mintcleaner.com). It uses a Swiffer like wet/dry cloth system, has a cool Apple like look, cleans in a grid format and works the corners.

All well and good, but there is something about it I find unsettling.

Cleaning the floors has a cathartic rhythmic feel, one I loathe to give up especially to a machine. Doing the floors is usually the last part of a home cleaning process, one that says’ “I am done, case closed, the house is clean”. It is slightly meditative, a gliding trance like motion somewhere between a no-brainer and doing a downward dog.

So while the Mint may be a great new addition to our mechanical automated housekeeper homemaker world, I will leave it to others. As for me I will continue to be slightly old school, give me the mop, pail and the assurance and satisfaction of knowing I finished the job thoroughly.

No comments: